- Project folder – this option puts all your renders into the BGRenders subfolder.
- As in render queue – leaves render folder as set in the Render Queue.
- Custom – Set the custom folder.
BG Renderer Max always renders with Skip Existing Files enabled (we are going to add Sequence Overwrite option later).
So if your render did not finish properly, or you want to continue rendering to the same folder, make sure you have Save sequence versions turned off.
What to renderControl what to add to the Render Queue
- Only render queue – you create the Render Queue yourself(default).
- Add to RQ and render – adds current composition, or compositions selected in the Project panel, to the Render Queue.
- Only active or selected – cleans the Render Queue and adds current composition, or compositions selected in the Project panel, to the Render Queue.
If you need to render compositions with custom Output Module settings, like Half resolution or Draft quality, first add those compositions to the After Effects render queue, apply desired settings, and make sure you have Only render queue selected in this dropdown. BG Renderer MAX renders with the applied setting.
When you have other options selected, BG Renderer MAX adds active or selected compositions to the After Effects render queue. By default, it sets the Best quality and Full resolution.
Render queue handleChoose what to do with your Render Queue after the render finishes
- Unqueue finished (default)
- Do nothing
- Clean render queue
Post-Render actions orderSet the order of Post-render actions.
Sequence to video is also a post-render action, so if you have a lot of heavy renders going on, it's better to start post-render actions after all comps.
- After each comp
- Only on the last item – launches Post-render actions only for the last item. Use this option to get notified on the Render Queue completion.
MultiprocessingEnable this checkbox to render your composition in multiple threads simultaneously. When you do so, the thread counter appears next to the Render button.
Sequence file formatBG Renderer Max has three sequence presets:
- TIFF – for speed, but heavyweight
- JPG – for speed-weight balance
- PNG – slower, but better for storing and archives
Select As in render queue in the dropdown if you wish to use custom sequence presets.
Use this option if you want to render a composition with an alpha channel.
List of supported custom sequence formats:
If the custom sequence is not in one of the supported formats, BG Renderer Max resets it to JPG. PSD is not supported.
Save sequence versionsWhen enabled, every time you start the render, BG Renderer Max creates a new folder for the sequence, thus keeping all the previous renders.
Versioning allows you to go back to the previous versions quickly.
When unchecked, BG Renderer Max would always render to the set folder with Skip Existing Frames enabled so that may use it for the network rendering.
Read more about multiprocessing on this page.
Keep audioWhen enabled, BG Renderer Max renders WAV file along with the sequence.
Enable Compile video file to add the audio output to the video file.
BG Renderer Max adds one render queue item with BGRenderer2_WAV output module template for each item in the After Effects queue.
These items won't appear as separate in the BG Renderer Max render queue.
Compile Video FileEnable this checkbox to run Sequence to Video Action for each composition rendered.
Select one of the ready-made presets:
- H.264 - VBR, 4-20 Mbps – produces .mp4 file
- H.264 - VBR, 2-7 Mbps – produces .mp4 file
- ProRes 422HQ – produces ProRes .mov file, even on Windows
- ProRes 4444 + alpha – produces ProRes 4444 .mov file with alpha channel support, even on Windows
How to render with Alpha ChannelBG Renderer MAX installs PNG and TIFF templates, though both do not support alpha channel.
To render a video with alpha, create your output template that has RBG + Alpha selected in the Channels.
Then select As in render queue in the Sequence format dropdown.
If you have GifGun installed, you may use the GifGun_Alpha_Png preset that is added to your presets list when you first enable Keep Alpha in its settings.